Below are our sitewide general guidelines in little bites. To view our samplers of poetry and prose, click here.
- We are open to many literary themes and poetic forms & styles. Never really pigeonholed ourselves to one market. We enjoy the succinct, the startling, and the sublime. Some humor will keep us turning pages. We will root for intimate characters & their relationships with whomever/whatever. Make sure we won't forget your name.
- Our preferences do not include straightforward genre fiction, erotica, and anything too niche or far-fetched. We are not a market for plays, screenwriting, academic articles, and art books. If you are unsure, please query before submitting.
- A 3rd-person bio containing geographical and publication info is appreciated in the cover letter. Doesn't have to be extensive. Some of the best bios can be done in under 3 lines.
- There may be times when we request a specific theme, genre, or manuscript. Please check the appropriate category for details.
- All manuscripts must be original and unpublished. Previously published pieces within are alright (good job!) but must contain literary acknowledgment. If the journal/publisher is out of circulation or defunct (bummer...), please note accordingly.
- Reprints of previously published books (including self-published ones) are not accepted. Additionally, manuscripts that have been extraneously typeset or have mock cover spreads will be rejected. We just want the words.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Come on, who isn't? If a partial withdrawal is required, though, please message us. If it is a full withdrawal (congrats!), please use the 'Withdraw' function in Submittable
- Regarding page layout, we request that the first page includes the manuscript title, name, and page count (chapbooks, poetry, short stories) or word count (full-length books). Simple. We will entrust you with the rest.
- We absolutely will not accept any graphic violence, slurs, or other actions or symbols targeted toward peoples' race, religion, sexual orientation, or other personal identities, unless you empathize with such. We are not about that life.
- Conversely, we highly encourage folks from historically marginalized demographics to submit. This can include but is not limited to BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ writers.
- While it is your work, it is our name stamped on top. We reserve the right to reject singular pieces or entire manuscripts at any time. This will hypothetically occur if the work conflicts with our values or if you are outed/convicted of some form of abuse.
- It's tough out there, we understand. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, we implore you to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. It is toll-free and avaialble 24/7.
988 or 1-800-273-8255
Afterimages, the Thirty West Substack, is reading essays, memoirs, serialized fiction, and book reviews. We're open to many interpretations of these categories, so send us something unique and timely. Unfortunately, there isn’t monetary compensation at this time. All accepted articles will obtain a light editorial from the TW staff, remain on Afterimages in perpetuity, and reach 1,000+ subscribers. We ask that TW obtains first publication rights and be acknowledged if submitted elsewhere.
What we're looking for:
- Completed essays and op-eds.
- Memoirs and biographies.
- Book & chapbook reviews.
- Serialized fiction (please provide sample & proposal.)
- Semi-regular columns (please provide sample & proposal.)
- Default formatting (unless the piece requires something different) in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
- Try to keep everything under 3,000 words.
As always, please consult our General Guidelines prior to submitting. We're looking forward to what you've got.